Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My first real churro, y xocolate

My first real xurros y xocolate. Well, how could you not like a crunchy doughnut-like thing dunked in melted chocolate. In fact, how could you not like something spelled "XURRERIA".
Xurreria Jessy was there when I needed it, early in the morning. Sure, I could have gotten a sandwich and coffee anywhere, but this is Spain, dammit. And I was standing there, and I had one choice: buy, or die. OK, buy, or go somewhere else, for something more tame, more familiar. Fuck it: take the untrodden path!

A local who was ordering heard that I was indecisive and said, in Spanish, that I had to have the xurros y xocolate. So I did. MMmmmmmm.... The xurros were like the best combination of doughnut inside, and (hate to say it this way) crunchy french fry outside. The cup of liquid chocolate was super rich, and far exceeded the amount I needed for dunking. I almost burned my tongue trying to quaff the last half cup of chocolate. Great staff who answered my bad Spanish with good information about bacalao fritters.

We sat outside on the newly narrowed and human-friendly Carrer de Arragò and indulged. Just enough.

Xurreria Jessy has no website, just a place, with great xurros. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment